Monday, September 10, 2012

Who is My God? An Agnostic's Perspective


I am agnostic. If I had to classify it further I’d probably be atheistic agnostic. What exactly does that mean? Well, It means I believe that there is no proof of god/gods of any religion. The fact that a god or gods exist, I believe, is unknowable. And since I believe that knowing if a god is impossible, I choose to sit on the “I don’t care” bench. I am not an atheist. I don’t simply refute that there is a god. I choose to believe that it is unknowable which religion is correct or incorrect.
I am not a Satanist. One has to believe in a Satan or Devil to worship it. One thing I hear all the time, coming from a tiny town, is that atheists/agnostics are evil people and devil worshipers. This isn’t true at all. We don’t worship anything, let alone the devil of the Christian religion or any other demons/devils/evil entities. We would have to believe in them to worship them. We are not bad people. We don’t sacrifice goats or drink blood.
I am not going to try to convince anyone that their ideas are wrong. I’ve never believed in trying to persuade anyone to or from a religion. I’m not going to argue with you about the existence of a god (unless you really want to). I do have a very strong base knowledge of Christianity, Judaism, Islam; and I have a basic knowledge of a ton of other beliefs. I wanted to be well rounded in what there is to believe in before I came to the conclusion that there being a god is unknowable.
I am a moral person. I don’t think murdering is justified just because I don’t believe a god is going to send me to hell if I do it. Same goes for a lot of other issues. I don’t do things because they are a detriment to me or society. I don’t feel like I need a punishment system set behind things I shouldn’t do. I don’t do them because they are bad, not because I will go to hell.
I love anyone who allows me to. Any religion, any race, or any ethnicity, if you don’t agree with me, and if I don’t agree with you, doesn’t mean we can’t get along. Most of my friends are Christians, and I am OK with that. I don’t feel superior to them, and they don’t feel that way to me. They don’t try to force anything onto me and I don’t onto them.
I am a human. I’m just like you. I’m not a bad person. I’m just trying to get by in this world making myself, and others happy along the way. That is what drives me to keep going. Happiness through love and laughter is what drives me. I don’t need a god to look forward to in the end to make me enjoy life. I live my life and love everyone around me. Happiness is my God.

No comments:

Post a Comment